Saturday, February 15, 2014

Interview with 'The Headmistress' Milliner - Samantha Cousins

My history/training...
I studied costume design at Wimbledon School of Art and begun my career in film and television. I have been working on period and fantasy films and television dramas for several years, which has led me to work around the world with many personalities.  Millinery was something I was taught whilst at college and before starting 'The Headmistress' label, I took further training with Rose Cory, the royal milliner.


I was first inspired to become a designer...
Since I can remember, I have always been making things and using my hands.  I begun to pursue millinery further after making some head pieces for a friends 'nautical themed' hen weekend.  I enjoyed collecting the materials and making them so much and everyone loved them.  My friends said why don't you start selling them, so this was when I started to explore the idea further.
I am now inspired by... 
The work I do (in film & TV), being always surrounded by beautiful period costumes and fabrics. The outside world, fashion, art, photography and different cultures.
My designs appeal to...
People who want something different and want to stand out from the crowd.  Lovers of the vintage look.
My favourite designer is...
Edith Head, who was the famous Hollywood costume designer of the 1950's and Alexander McQueen.
My studio is...
My place of sanctuary, where I can retreat to, reflect and be creative.


My best designs/ideas have come from...
Nostalgic everyday objects, things that remind me of my childhood.
Every bride should...
Be true to themselves, not be afraid to step out of the box and venture away from the conventional.
'The Headmistress' Product prices start from... £80
Available at...
http://www.theheadmistressboutique.com/ Or find me at, Belles Vintage Wedding Fair in The Old Spitalfield's Market on Saturday 26th April 2014.  You can also sign up to the mailing list, to receive news and info on when and where my next pop up shop will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment